Saturday, October 18, 2008

Week One in Korea!

Well Yesterday was my one week anniversary in Seoul! I spent most of the day in bed feeling my first Korean hangover from the night before! (Somehow a kitty got in my apartment on Saturday night when I was out.... Meow!) On Friday I didn't have to go to work until 12:45, which was awesome. I didn't have to wake up early, and I still got to talk to people from home since it was night time in America! After work on Friday, we went to Pizza after work. Apparently that is a Friday tradition for SLP employees! I got a potato and bacon pizza that was delicious, and I have been eating it all weekend! People said they weren't going out on Friday night, since Saturday morning we were supposed to travel to another city for the day to check out a park and China town. After pizza, I went to the dollar store (again, I've been there about 20 times in one week!) to buy more hangers, and I also bought some hooks to hang the calendar Katie made for me, and I bought a few other things. On my walk home, I saw this man selling these beautiful Orchids from the back on his truck, and they were only 2500 WON, so I bought one! It is white and purple/pink, and very beautiful! After I bought it, I had to go back to the dollar store to buy a pot to put it in. I had sooo much stuff in my hands, and had a hard time walking home without dropping anything.
When I got in my apartment, I hung up the rest of my clothes, and realized I didn't have my rain coat. I wore it on Wednesday because it looked like it was going to rain, and Wednesday night was the night we went to Happiness, where I ate the Fire Rice and Pork. I took my phrase book, looked up 'lost' 'raincoat' and 'gray' and I walked into the restaurant. I said my three words, and they looked impressed that I was speaking Korean, (even though I'm sure I was butchering it and not even using a sentence) and they laughed and handed me my coat that was hanging on the hook!!! I was soo happy to get my Rain Slick back, since I would be pissed when it started to rain and I didn't have it! I said Camsamida (thank you) and left.
When I got into the elevator I saw Tara, who I work with, coming out of the elevator ready to go out, and she asked if I wanted to come. Of course I did, so I went upstairs and got dressed and met her back at her apartment. Another awesome thing about Korea, is that you can drink anywhere you want! I brought one of the beers from my fridge that I didn't get around to drinking all week, and Tara stopped at Family Mart to buy a beer for the trip over. We took a cab(while drinking) to another city about 15 minutes away and met this girl, Jenn, who knows someone else who we work with at SLP. She works at a public school and is the only foreigner at her school, she seems to be unofficially a member of the SLP family. We went to many bars, I can't even remember what they were called, but we were drinking this beer called Cafri, it is like Corona but doesn't come with a lime. We were at one of the many bars, and something absolutely unbelievable happened. An American boy at the bar was talking to me, and he asked where I was from, and I said NH, and he said he was from NH too! Not only was he from NH, but he was from Claremont! The town next to mine!!!! I couldn't believe that on my first night out in Korea, when I was on the other side of the planet, I ran into someone who is from the town next to mine! He ended up knowing this kid Chris Picard, who is the brother of someone who I hung out with when I was in high school. I was absolutely amazed that we knew someone in common, and that we happened to meet on the other side of the world. I didn't get to talk to him much because we were on our way out, but maybe I'll run into him again! Crazy!
The bars in Korea don't close I don't think, so we ended up being out until about 5:30am. It was a great night, and I had tons of fun! One thing that I didn't like, was that you can smoke in the bars, so my clothes STINK! I don't want to have to wash my jeans every time I go to the bar, and I also don't want to stink, so I got some fabreeze at the dollar store but that doesn't seem to work.
On Saturday morning I woke up, and I was hung over and my feet were KILLING me from walking around in heels all night, so I knew I couldn't make it to Chinatown. I went downstairs to where the girls were meeting, and as I walked toward them in my Loafing gear, they could tell I wasn't going to make it! I went back to bed until about 1:00, and woke up and went to Homever to buy something to drink. I also bought a new pillow, and a phone. I have a phone card, but I didn't have a phone in my room. Now I have a phone card, and I have a phone, but I don't have a phone line hooked up in my apartment, So I will have to talk to Danny on Monday about that. He will probably tell me I have to wait for my Alien card!
On Saturday I also cleaned my apartment. I turned my empty suite cases into a nightstand, which looks kind of shafty, but it will work. I also used my new swifter to clean my floor. My apartment is looking good!
Last night for dinner I went back to the place where I left my raincoat. I ordered Beep n' Bop, which is rice, a semi-spicy red sauce, some vegetables, and a fried egg. I got it to go, which took a little bit to try and explain, even though I knew the words for "to take away," but I guess I wasn't saying it right! I spooned out most of the red sauce, since they put it on top of the plain rice, and don't mix it in. I spooned out as much as possible, and it wasn't too spicy.
The girls are camping out across the street again, although the seem to be screaming a little less today than last week. They camped out again last night. I wonder if they still camp out as it starts getting cold.....
So in my first week I have set up my tiny apartment and tried to make it as homey as possible! I also have found food that I can stand to eat, and some that I know never to order again! I have met some nice people that I think I will enjoy hanging out with. I am loving Seoul so far, and I wish you all could be here and see it for yourselves!!!

4 comments:

Mom said...

Dear KellBell....
I can't tell you how many people are telling me how much they are enjoying your blog page and the way you are writing. It was such a good idea to do this. I know that I feel so very connected to you by reading the pages and also because of the IM. I loved the tour you gave me of your apartment. I think my favorite part of your apartment is your closet. It's awesome. I'm so glad that you're off to a great start over there.

Kimberly said...

Hey Kell!
Every day when I get home from work I check to see if you've posted another blog. (I've got "Kelly's Blog" in my bookmark bar!) Anyways, I really enjoy reading it. I am so impressed by your courage! Every time I read your blog, I feel like I'm living vicariously through you!!!!! I am so glad I got to see you before you left. Keep having fun, and keep telling us all about it! Love ya! Love, Kim O

Aunt Eileen said...

Hi Kelly,
The blog is terrific. I'm glad you are doing it. Your apartment is so cute. I'm happy you've made friends and are already partying. Jeanette will be so proud! :-) I had a Korean boy that constantly took his shoes off. Very interesting culture. Keep writing and I'll keep reading.
Love, Aunt Eileen

Rose Mosca said...

Kelly
The Blogs are AWESOME. I love hearing from you and love staying and keeping up all of your new findings. Just such a wonderful opportunity for you. I am so proud. Please stay safe.. Who was the guy from Claremont? ARE YOU SURE HE WAS FROM CLAREMONT OR JUST SAYING THAT !!!! Always be safe and always use your best judgement.. Love you alot. Aunt Rosie