Monday, October 27, 2008

Monkey Beach

I had a VERY exciting weekend to blog about!!! Friday night was uneventful, since I didn’t do anything. On Saturday everyone from SLP met and took cabs to a restaurant where we ate bulgi. It was meat that was cooked on a fire pit that was built into the center of the table. There ended up being a TON of people who showed up, and we took up a large section of the restaurant. I took my first shot of soju and didn’t like it, but I wasn’t expecting to like it because I don’t like shots of anything, including vodka, which I could drink all night long if it was mixed with something. After dinner I went to buy beer for the cab ride over, and I saw an ATM and was able to get money out for the first time!!! I was relieved to find out that I could get cash out, because I was running out of it! I rode to the bar in a cab with Jamie, her friend Colin, and Lindsey. On the walk to the bar from where the cab dropped us off, I saw a tank in a restaurant window and it had live shrimp in it! I’ve never seen shrimp swimming before and they were pretty cute!
The bar was pretty empty when we got there, but ended up getting busier shortly after we got there. The drinks were served in buckets with monkeys on them (The name of the bar was Monkey Beach) and of course I took a bucket home with me!!!

The night got crazy quickly, and there was lots of dancing of tables and forgotten moments! I woke up on Sunday with bruises all over my legs. My shin especially has a huge lump and bruise on it and kind of throbs with pain from time to time. The bruises were worth it because I have a fantastic time. Here are some of the people I work with.

This is John and his Korean girlfriend. It was John's birthday on Wednesday, which is why we were out celebrating.

Jimbo(Alisha's Korean boyfriend), Alisha, and Amanda.


Janique, Jenn, Amanda and Susie.




This is Jenn(She does not work for SLP), Tara in the black dress, Susie behind her, me, Janique in the back row, and Amanda on the end.




Jess and Alisha



Janique and Amanda (And Tara's head in the background).

These are some of the people who I work with.



Amanda, me, Tara, and Janique.


On Sunday morning I got up at around 10:30, and had enough time to go to Homever and get a bagel before meeting Amanda to go Halloween shopping. I was still drunk, and decided it would be a good time to buy these sneakers that I have had my eye on at Homever. I love them, but I know others (KATIE) would think they were hideous, like all of my sneaker purchases!!! They look blue in the picture, but they are actually purple.

Amanda, Lindsey, and I took the subway to a place called Incheon, which is a very Americanized part of Seoul. There were a ton of non Asians walking around, and all of the people who worked in the stores spoke English. There were a million souvenir shops, so I was finally able to buy some post cards to send home. It was sort of nice to see people that weren’t Asian, but I definitely am glad I don’t live there. It doesn’t really seem like Korea! It was very touristy. I like my part of Seoul better because it is straight up Korean, and no one speaks English(which can be very frustrating)! I bought a witch hat to complete my witch costume. We didn’t stay long because I felt like a bag of smashed apples, and Amanda had an injured leg, so we left after only about an hour of walking around. I did buy a Korean touristy key chair that is run by a solar strip on the back, and it flashes this little image of a Korean man.

I told you about my plants, but I haven’t put of a picture of them, so here is my orchid and my cactus.

My classes are going well. This week I am teaching preschool because one of the teachers got married last week and is on her honeymoon. Now I have to get to school at 9:00, which kind of sucks, but it is only for one week. I also have a good week, because Friday is Halloween and we are having a party with the preschool kids! I have all the kids for art class, so they already know me. One boy says the same thing every time he sees me. “Teacher, why your eyes are blue?” and he points to his eyes. It’s so cute when he says it, and I just tell him I was born like that. They probably don’t see too many blue eyes!!! The preschool kids are cute, but sometimes they act ridiculous, like when they cry because they aren’t in the front of the line, or they can’t find their pencil. I’m amazed at the things they can do at only 5 years old. They speak in almost complete sentences, and they do adding and subtracting, and read stories and then put sentences about the story in the order that they happened. Today we read a story about 10 little monsters lying in bed. I think I would be impressed if an American 5 year old could do the things they are doing, and this is their second language!

Today I became an alien!!! I have a card that looks like a license, but it’s all in Korean. It has the same picture on it that I used to apply for my Visa. Now I can buy a cell phone, get a bank account, and get a phone and the internet hooked up in my house. Amanda said she would take me to get a cell phone this weekend and I am SO excited!!!!

There will definitely be more pictures after Halloween!!!

4 comments:

Rose Mosca said...

Congratulations Alien!!!!
Hope all is well. Looks and sounds like you are getting along pretty well over there. Be safe and make smart choices.
- I love you.
-AUnt Rosie

Anonymous said...

yes hideous is probably the best word to describe them...hahaha just kidding theyre so fun! Make sure you take a picture of yourself wearing those bright new kicks! I wanna see! I'm glad you brought home a souvenir from the bar...as usual! Love you, miss you!!!! xoxo

Jaynett said...

yeeeey Kellllz...Glad your having so much fun and meeting so many people...Looks like good times all around...BTW love the sneakers (but I usually love weird things that everyone hates) surpirsed you found your shoe size lol Miss ya face shuga Love ya tummy sticks

Mom said...

Hi Kelly,
This is the 4th time I'm trying leave a comment for you. I can't seem to remember my password because they wouldn't allow me to use the one I use for everything. I was forced to do the unthinkable and come up with a new one; and now I can't remember it. I've finally decided to open a new account so that I can write to you.

I have to agree with Katie about the sneakers. I'm not loving them. They are not nearly as nice as the new sneakers I got when you and I went to the mall right before you left.

It sounds as if you are having no trouble meeting people and having fun. I'm glad about that and not at all surprised. Just be careful! And Kelly, just because people CAN dance on tables in clubs in Korea doesn't mean you HAVE to do it. You didn't mention what sort of music clubs like Monkey Beach have. That's something I'm wondering about.

Hopefully school is going as well as the social life is. It sounds like you made a wise choice about which school to choose. I can't imagine how hard things would be for you if you went with the school that had only one other foreigner.

You left your dime collection in the dining room, and I keep adding dimes to it whenever I think about it. A kid in my class wants to know if I'm going to mail you a dime because you won't get to see a dime for a whole year!

Talk to you soon. Love you lots and miss you....
LOve, MOM