Friday, October 24, 2008

Fire Escape

One of the biggest things my dad was worried about when he knew I was moving to Korea, was making sure I knew where the fire escapes were in my building. He knows they cram many Asians into apartment buildings, and he was nervous that if there was a fire, I wouldn't be able to get out. Well, Dad, you would be very happy to know that I found the answer to your concern today! There has been a box up on the top shelf in my closet, and today I took it down to see what it was.


I obviously don't know what it says on the box, because it is Korean, but inside the box is a rope, a flashlight, and two smoke masks.


I'm not really sure what they expect me to do with the rope... Hang it out my window and dangle 10 stories from the ground? What would I even tie the rope to that would be safe enough to hang from? The smoke masks seem like a good idea, they have a little pouch that goes over your mouth filled with something that would filter the air. It also has a clear area for your eyes so you can see where you are going. The only problem is that it is made out of plastic, and would probably melt right to my head if I tried to walk through fire with it. Those silly Koreans.... If there is a fire in my apartment, I will definitely be taking the stairs!!!


I have a pretty exciting weekend ahead of me! Tonight I am going to dinner and then out to a bar called Monkey Beach, which is supposed to be pretty exciting! Everyone from SLP is coming to celebrate John's birthday. Then tomorrow I am waking up early and going to the Coex mall, which, from what I heard, is HUGE. I am going with three girls from work: Amanda, Susie, and Lindsey. We will be shopping for Halloween costumes because next weekend is Susie's birthday, and she is having a Halloween/birthday party at her apartment!

I was at Homever today and I saw something that I thought was photo worthy.

Buy a 40 oz. of beer and get a huge bottle of water to cure your hangover the next day! So many odd things are pared together in the food stores. Like if you buy certain shampoo, you get a free bag with it. If you buy certain orange juices you get aloe vera juice. It's very strange the things they pair together, because usually they don't really go together. (I didn't really give good examples of things that are paired together, but next time I go to the store I'll pay better attention!) Anyone who knows me, knows I'd rather skip the water and have another beer, but they don't pair two bottles of beer together!
I'll be sure to bring my camera out tonight and take lots of pictures!

3 comments:

Debbie said...

Kelly I love reading your blog. Hope you never have to test the rope! I can't wait to read how your night was. Hope you had fun! We love you very much!
Aunt Debbie & Uncle Willy

Jaynett said...

OMG I am dying....the rope I was picturing you dangling hahahaha Hope it never comes to dangling or melting plastic...too funny Yeah and how thoughtful of them to give you hangover water ..Those Koreans always using their noggins ..Love ya

Anonymous said...

Kelly thank you for checking on the fire escape system for me. If you hear any alarms going off grab the mask and go for the stairs. Please be careful!

Love,
Dad