Tuesday, November 25, 2008

McDonalds

Happy Anniversary Mom and Dad!!! I went to McDonalds today in honor of you and I took some more pictures.

Here is the menu. Cheese burger, Bulgolgi burger, Chicken sandwich, Shrimp burger, Big mac, Big bulgolgi burger, Bacon tomato burger, another chicken sandwich, and spicy chicken strips.



This is what the uniforms look like.



Amanda and I toasting to McDonalds for bringing my mom and dad together, and creating the greatest girl in the world.... ME!!!!!!



I had my camera with me at school today, and when I was on the bus, stopped at a red light, I saw this truck also stopped at a red light. There is a bunch of fish on it, and I'm guessing he is going to park somewhere and sell the fish. None of it is covered or wrapped up. Yummy!!! Tying the fish together with that yellow rope is very common, they even sell whole dead fish like that in the food store!


I ate dinner at our normal Kimbop place, but I got Beepinbop. It looks pretty when they bring it over to the table, its rice with different color vegetables on top, and a fired egg in the middle with spicy red sauce. I take out some of the red sauce because otherwise it is too spicy. Tonight, while we were eating, the Kimbop man came over and was telling me to mix it all together, and I guess I wasn't doing a good job, because it got a spoon and mixed it all up for me. I must say it did taste better all mixed together. Usually I eat all the vegetables separate and then a little of the rice. I guess he knows what he is doing! This is the Beepinbop mixed together.
We had some interesting sides today that I have never seen since I've been here. This was some kind of dish with octopus legs. I thought it was my normal vegetable side dish that I usually like, until I ate it and noticed it was way different, and then I took a closer look and saw the little suction cups on the legs from when it was alive. It was not very delicious at all.
We also got these little fishies that were kind of half dried. They are like a snack in Korea, people snack on them on the subways and stuff. (That reminds me that this weekend, I was talking to some Korean boys at one of the bars on Saturday night, and they were snacking on strips of dried seaweed. The smell was awful!) Back to the fish, Susie loves these little guys, and I tried one and did not like it. The Kimbop man saw me try it and laughed at me and said something to me in Korean that I obviously did not understand. They are full fish, head, tail, eyeballs......
I don't think I have posted a picture of what the inside of the kimbop looks like, so here it is.
My kids took their end of the month test today. Sometimes I am impressed at what they know, but times like today I am just so disappointed in them. They did way worse than I thought they would do! In my last class of the day, I almost killed two students. It was a listening test, so I would read a paragraph, and then questions, and they had multiple choice answers on a sheet of paper and they had to circle the correct answer. They did not have the questions written so they had to listen for me to ask the question. This one pain in the ass kid kept answering the question out loud after I'd read it, even after I explained the whole class that this was a test, and there was to be no talking at all. I threatened them in the beginning of the class that if I saw anyone cheating or talking I would take their paper and they would get a zero and have to go to the desk teacher. I thought that would scare them enough to not cheat or talk, but after giving this one kid so many warnings I had no choice but to send him to the desk teacher. I'm not sure if I am even allowed to give him a zero on the test, or if I even would. I think sending him to the desk teacher was bad enough. The other kid who pissed me off just stared at me the entire test like I had 5 heads. I kept asking him if he understood what he was supposed to be doing, and he said yes, but I have a feeling he was lost. He got a 9/20.
So that was my day today. It's 12:15 and I am just waiting for my laundry to be finished so I can hang it to dry before I go to bed.

6 comments:

Mom said...

Hey, KellBell....
Thanks for the anniversary wishes. We went on our first date 31 years ago today. Imagine that!

I continue to be impressed with how daring you've become with food since you've been there. You couldn't pay me enough money to taste one of those "fishies" that you described. What do the people who don't like seafood do to survive? It seems as if there is a lot of seafood.

Kelly, please don't go to that "booking club" that you wrote about in your "Vegas" post. It's terrible that such a place exists; It's belittling to women to think that they can't sit down unless some man who has paid for a table thinks that they're attractive enough to be invited over. I'd like to think that you would stay away from places like that. What kind of a decent man would go to a place like that anyway? It sounds much more like a Vegas brothel than the kind of place you'd have fun. DON'T GO!!!!!! I can feel it in my bones......from all the way over here on the other side of the planet.... that this is bad news. TRUST ME.

Happy Thanksgiving. We'll do a video IM thing when everyone is here. We'll miss you very much.

Kimberly said...

Hi there Kelly!

It’s Kim (of Brian, Kim, Ben & Russ).... Your dad sent me this link a while ago when I’d asked how you were doing, and I’m finally getting around to looking at it.

Wow! I am so envious of the experience you are getting—it’s wonderful! I’ve only gotten to look at this first couple of entries about McDonalds & Vegas Style, but will have to go back and look through the whole thing at some point (looks like you’ve been a busy blogger!) and find out what else you’ve been up to over there. (Besides having flashbacks of falls and missing teeth, that is. I wonder what you could possibly be referring to.... ;)

And I didn’t know you were “potty-squat challenged.” (I guess that must run in the family, eh? I know your mom is no pro at it....)

Hey, did you know that Brian and I also started dating the very same day as your Mom & Dad? Only we were up here in NH, instead of on Long Island. And we met working at a restaurant, too. How weird is that?!?

We wish you luck over there. Hope you have lots of fun, and perhaps I’ll write again some day. Take good care of yourself—and Happy Thanksgiving!

PS: Brian LOVES Korean food, especially Kimchee—the hotter, the better! And we’ve tried those little dried fish before, too, while visiting with a friend from Japan. Yucky!

PSS: Just saw your mom’s post, re: that Booking Club, and I have to say I agree with her 100%. That's a HUGE step back for woman-kind. We are so-o-o beyond that kind of treatment! You deserve more respect than that!

Patrick said...

Hey Kelbel,

I just came home to Mom and Dad's, and it just isn't the same without you! Riley is doing very well though. He misses you too....

We will video conference tomorrow night (your Friday morning). Enjoy your day at work on Thanksgiving!

Love Patrick

Patrick said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
josiahbeer said...

By the way, I don't think "pain in the ass kid” and “the kid who pissed me off” are in the teacher’s manual. I’m pretty sure on that. But, maybe in Korea? If they eat fish eyes and octopus legs, they’re probably not big sissies or too worried about political correctness. Kinda like the old Wild West or like Governor Palin (commonly known as Mooselini) (but let’s stay out of the political arena).

And, I really like your vignettes. Of course the pictures help, but your descriptions do capture the exotic and gruff customs and items (especially the food) of a strange and foreign land. How long would a Kimbop man who came over and stirred up the food on your plate last in American? Even the patrons at Nick’s Bar in Bellows Falls might find that a touch over the edge, though they might need help stirring their food. And your personality helps too: you’re not afraid to look anything or anyone in the eye. Maybe you should go that Booking Club and start writing some new rules………? On second thought, why not do a museum or the gym? Take Friday and Saturday night to get your culture and your exercise? Your mom didn’t pay me to say, either.
Keep us blogged; it's been interesting and informative.
jb

Anonymous said...

I truly believe that we have reached the point where technology has become one with our lives, and I am fairly certain that we have passed the point of no return in our relationship with technology.

I don't mean this in a bad way, of course! Ethical concerns aside... I just hope that as the price of memory drops, the possibility of uploading our brains onto a digital medium becomes a true reality. It's a fantasy that I daydream about every once in a while.

(Posted using Nintendo DS running [url=http://www.gather.com/viewArticle.action?articleId=281474978023679]R4i[/url] Fling)