Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Korean Traditional Porridge Restaurant

Amanda and went to a restaurant in front of our apartment building, and it only serves porridge. It was so much nicer than any other restaurant I have been to in Korea! It was actually clean, and didn't look like every other restaurant. I guess porridge is Well-Being Slow Food, because, well that is what the sign said...


It isn't breakfast porridge that we have at home. I got porridge with broccoli and tofu, and Amanda got hers with tuna and vegetables. It was both delicious and fancy!!! After the meal they even brought over plum juice, just like when I ate with Danny! It was a little more expensive than a normal Korean meal, it was 6,000 won, but it was huge and Amanda and I probably could have shared one.
The restaurant was so clean!!!
Before: Porridge, kimchi, some kind of weird meat that tasted like cat food, and some hot spicy paste that I obviously did NOT use!!! Also is came with this soup that was cold and thick. I didn't like the soup.
Mmmmmm yummy porridge! Peas porridge hot, peas porridge cold, peas porridge in a bowl nine days old!
This was carved into the table.
I don't think I've mentioned this yet, but in Korean restaurants, they do not offer drinks. Some have suju or beer, but the kimbop places that we eat lunch in don't sell anything to drink. They all have water coolers, and these tiny metal cups that you drink from. The cups make the water taste like metal, so I usually don't drink anything. At this restaurant the water cups were ceramic, like a mug, so I drank the water. Normally you get up and get the water yourself too. They keep the cups in these disinfecting boxes that look like big toaster ovens. I don't think they are actually turned on, but they are supposed to disinfect the cups.

2 comments:

Mom said...

Dear Kelly,
The restaurant definitely sounds interesting and I'm wondering how different it is than breakfast porridge. I should probably tell you that you've never actually had porridge growing up; neither have I. That stuff that we've always called porridge is really called Cream of Wheat. I've always loved it, and to encourage Patrick to eat it when he was really little and really into a particular version of Goldilocks and the 3 Bears, I told him it was porridge. Somehow the name stuck, and it's what I still call it. I've never had real porridge, but my guess is that it probably tastes a lot like Cream of Wheat.

While we're on the subject of food, I was thinking about you a lot today. I met Aunt Kerry in Concord for lunch/shopping. We went to Ruby Tuesday for lunch. The same exact one that you and I recently went to. This time, in honor of you, I put peas on my salad (something I NEVER do) because I know how much it's killing you not to be able to eat them while I STILL have that same bag of peas in the freezer. I still think it's funny that you're such a lover of peas; I don't know where you get that from. I tried to make Aunt Kerry eat one single pea to prove she loves you, but she absolutely refused. She has hated peas since she was a little girl. Some things never change.

You're becoming so adventurous with food---so unlike you. I'm a bit nervous about how much of that food I'll like when I get there. Promise me you won't make me eat anything that tastes like cat food!

I used your Nuvi for the first time today. Thanks for giving me the new toy. Dad's away, but I was able to figure it all out on my own. I love that thing!
Love Always,
MOM

josiahbeer said...

Korean Kelly,

I'm definitely not Soeuled on the porridge, but I think I'd like the restaurant: you can take your own beer and carve on the tables.

You get to teach about colons, absolutes and gerunds? How cool is that! Of course, that would be semester two; right now you're probably smacking them on the head(s) with parts of speech and how to conjugate regular verbs. Too bad there's so much irregular stuff in English. It would be much easier if we made rules and stuck to them. But what fun would life be then?

If you're having trouble diagramming any sentences, send me an email.
Joe (or if it makes you nervous, "Mr.") Beer