Sunday, September 21, 2008

My First Blog

Well, this is it. I'm officially a Blogger. I hate the idea of it, but it is the easiest way to keep everyone updated on my Asian Adventure!

The original idea for going to another country to teach English as a Second Language came from a website that I was looking at last Spring that was for college graduates who didn't know what they wanted to do after graduation. My first thought was to teach in a Spanish speaking county, since I speak a little Spanish, but after further research, I learned I had to have a special teaching certificate that I didn't have for most jobs, and also I would only get paid about $400 a month. I then heard about a friend of a friend who taught ESL in Seoul, South Korea and loved it, I did a little research, and got hooked up with a great recruiter, Clara, who works with ThinkBig. She sent me the information on about 5 different schools, and I finally found one (with the help of Shawn Higgins) that I thought sounded perfect! I will be teaching at a school called SLP in Seoul.

I was supposed to be leaving on September 23rd, but thanks to URI, I didn't get my diploma on time, and my new leaving date is October 8th. Since I was supposed to be leaving in 2 days, I have been getting things together and starting to pack about a week and a half ago. I got new contacts, went to the dentist, started stocking up on deodorant and toothpaste, and sorted through all of my clothes deciding what to being and what to leave behind. I think I'm pretty good at downsizing my stuff, since I've done it to move out to Block Island and when I lived on Patrick's couch, but even then I wasn't limited to only 2 suite cases!

I will spend the next week finalizing what I am going to bring and cramming it into my suite cases, and then I will be flying out to Penn State to visit Katie for my Birthday! I can't wait to see her at her new college, especially since I didn't think I'd get to see her before I left! When I get back from Penn State, I will have 2 days before I leave!

I will try to keep my blog updated for everyone at home who is interested.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kelly,
I am so proud and jealous at the same time. I would never have the guts to do something like what you are about to embark on. You are a very strong and confident young women, and I know you will be successful at work, and in life. You’re Mother and I are very proud of you.

Best of luck!
Love,
Dad

Rose Mosca said...

My dearest Kelly
I am so proud of you, in general for being the person you are. You have always been like a daughter to me. I wish you so much luck and enjoyment in South Korea. I will check your Blog Page often. Love,Aunt Rosie

Frank and Josie said...

Hi Kelly,
Happy Birthday!
We just wanted to say Good Luck on your venture and adventure. You go girl!
Blog us your mailing address when you get there so we can send some snail mail.
Love,
Uncle Frank & Aunt Josanne

Anonymous said...

Kelly,

I had an AWESOME weekend with you at Penn State and I can't tell you how happy I am that we got to spend some quality time together before you're shipped off to Korea! I am so proud of you for being so independent! I love you and I can't wait to hear allll about your exciting adventures!

LOVE,
Katie