Saturday, March 21, 2009

Seoul Tower, St. Patrick's Day, and Duck

We went back to Insadong yesterday, where the automatic toilet was, and w e went back inside. This is Janique and I in the bathroom. (Please note, although it's hard to see, my hair is perfectly straight, and yesterday was the first time I didn't have time to blow dry it, so it air dried that perfect. No hair drier, no straightener!!!!!)



Last Tuesday was St. Patrick's Day. We went to Madigan's, the Irish Pub. (No Mom, they didn't play any of 'The Boys.') St. Patrick's Day got crazy for all the SLPers, but in general it was way more mellow than I thought. They were giving out shirts to anyone who bought 4 Guinness's, but I asked for a shirt and the owner gave it to me. If it's free it's for me!!! Amanda, Jamie, and I got off early from work, so we went at around 6:00, and we thought people who be there early for the celebrating, but we were the only ones there until about 7:30!!! We ate dinner there, and I had Shepard's Pie. It was good, but not as good as my Mother's!!! It was nice to eat some non-Korean food! More people started showing up a little later, and because the afternoon teachers didn't get out until 9pm, they didn't show up until about 10PM. After Madingan's closed at around 3am, we went back to our apartments, and we thought it was a great idea to go to Fish and Grill. I should have gone home, but instead, Anna, Liz, Jamie and I went and drank more at Fish and Grill. The time we went home is debatable. I think I got home a little after 4am, but Anna thinks it was after 5am. Either way, we are all preschool teachers and Wednesday morning was rough!!! Let's just say it was not a very Happy St. Kelly's Day!
This was the first day I could wash my hair. I didn't straighten it, just got out of the shower and blew dry it!!! Pretty amazing huh? As I blew dry it I was waiting for it to just frizz up and look like the normal Afro it does after I blow dry it. I was ready to cry. But it stayed perfect!!!!
Amanda, Jamie and me rocking Madigan's before anyone else showed up.


After work one night we went to this Duck restaurant that John knew about. I'm not really sure about this story, but from what I was told, it used to be a duck farm, but they got shut down for not treating the ducks right, so now they turned it into a bunch of duck restaurants. When they said we were going to an old duck farm restaurant, I was NOT expecting this.... We had to walk down this sketchy back dark road, and finally we came to this structure, not building, that looked like a green house. It was just a big tent. The floor was dirt, and the seats were egg crates with a cushion on it. The tables were just wooden boxes. It was VERY dirty and sketchy, and if I was in America I never would have eaten there, but When in Korea!!!! The duck was mixed with potatoes, green onions, rice cakes(not the cardboard kind you eat on a diet, they are squishy wet rice cakes), and a spicy sauce that wasn't that spicy at all! They dumped that mixture onto a pan on the table in front of us, and put a fire hot round brick under it, and that's how it cooked. We had to stir it. After it was cooked we all had little bowls, and we ate out of the pan with our chop sticks. It was really good. After a little while of eating, they came over with rice, and mixed it all together and it was like a new dish!

This is what it looked like after we were finished. This was after the rice was added.



These were the "tables." Of course no meal of duck is complete without mekjew and soju!




Here is a picture of the seats we were sitting on. Egg crates with a cushion! This was the guy who came with our fire bricks.


This is the duck when it was first poured into the pan. Kathy teacher, my Korean teaching partner, came with us, and she was sitting across from me and she did a great job telling us what and how to eat it. She is Korean and this was not her first duck experience! There were I think 11 of us, so we had 3 or 4 pans of duck. I was glad to be sitting with the only Korean at the table!!

This was our fire brick!

The tent/greenhouse/restaurant!

This was the outside. A real classy place!


Last weekend there were SO many people at SBS(Seoul Broadcasting Station). I couldn't even capture the entire crown from 11 stories up out my apartment window! People were lined up way down the street.


This is from the night we went to The Loft. Me and Janique. This was before Magic Straight.



This is Anna, one of the newest teachers at SLP. She was wearing a dress under that sweater, and she took off the sweater, and this old Korean man at the bar, maybe 50 years old, started chatter her up, and then he said, "You are very strong, how much?" kkk So later I noticed this whole in this hole in the ceiling, and we thought it would be funny to make it look like Strong Anna punched the hole.


Amanda and I went to Namsan Tower after work one day a few weeks ago. It's the tallest structure in Seoul, probably even in Korea. It's a very famous tourist destination, but for some reason when we got off the subway we couldn't find it!!! There were no signs for it anywhere, and we walked and walked and finally we found a way behind the back alley of a Woman's University. That probably wasn't the best way to get there, but it got us there. Our plan was to hike up to the top, which is quite a hike, but it was very unclear which way to hike. We started hiking, and I'd imagine we got a good amount of the way up it, but we knew there were stairs you had to climb, and we didn't see stairs and it was getting late, so we hiked back down and took the cable car to the top. Later we found that we probably were going the right way, the stairs are only at the very top.
At the top of the mountain, there is a structure that looks a lot like the Seattle Space Needle, (Or the Paris Needle, KKK) and it's very high. I forgot how many kilometers high the elevator said we were going up, but it was a lot! There is a viewing deck at the top, and there were different countries listed all around and it said how far away they were. It was so beautiful. By the time we reached the top it was dark, and the city looked beautiful! The pictures don't look impressive, but I promise it was very very beautiful.
Amanda and I used the tallest bathroom in Korea!!!!!
There was also a restaurant at the top but we didn't eat at it.
I'd definitely like to go back and walk to the top during the day.

This was the hike down. It was pretty steep and the stairs were big, so we felt like midgets walking down them!



This is a famous part of Seoul Tower, it's a gate that is covered in locks. People who are in love go up and put a lock with their names on it, and then they lock it on the fence and throw the key off the mountain. It's supposed to mean that they will stay in love forever I guess. The fence is very long, this is just one small section of it. There is a rumor that a Big Bang(The very famous Korean boy band) member has a lock up here with a girl.


"Beautiful Mind Makes Beautiful Place" This was a sign on the inside door of the highest bathroom in Korea. Its on the inside of each toilet's door.


Well this is how far away I am from home. 11,061 kilometers away!!!


A view from the top. As I said, the picture does not even come close to how amazing the view really was!


This is from when we started walking up the mountain.

1 comment:

Rose Mosca said...

Kelly girl~
you rock ! I Love these updates. Are you sure you were actually eating duck and not cat? Im thinking it will be easy enough to actually make the mekjew and soju when you return to the states. How are you Kelly? I miss you and I am so happy to hear from you. Philip and Andrea miss you too......Stay safe Kelly, dont get too comfortable in Korea.....Love you alot, Aunt Rosie